What is the right time to fight Knight Artorias in Dark Souls? Here’s when you should do Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
Dark Souls is a massive world filled with beasts, monsters, and forgotten perils that will haunt you for a decent amount of time. The incredibly dangerous worlds of the Souls series also offer a great amount of freedom. There is almost nothing linear about the game as there are no right or wrong directions. Even though it consists of various areas that will test your might, you can go anywhere and fight against any boss whenever you want.
That being said, you need to be powerful enough to confront the bosses of the game. Most enemies will require you to be at a certain level so that the fight is not impossibly hard. This also applies to Artorias as you might want to learn about the right time to go for him. Here’s what level you should be for the Knight of the Abyss.
When to Do Artorias of the Abyss DLC?
- The right time for Artorias of the Abyss DLC is when you are 50 or 60 levels. Although Dark Souls encourages you to go whenever you want, we recommend confronting the Knight Artorias right after filling the Lordvessel.
You need the souls of Seath the Scaleless in Duke’s Archives, Four Kings in New Londo Ruins, The Bed of Chaos in Lost Izalith, and Gravelord Nito in Tomb of the Giants to fill the Lordvessel.
- Before going for the last boss of the game, head to the Darkroot Basin waterfall and slay the Hydra.
- Find the cave in the basin that is located north of the river. You can simply follow the shore until you see the Golden Golem.
- Kill the Golden Golem to free Dusk of Oolacile. She was the princess of Oolacile when it was overwhelmed by the terrors of the Abyss.
- You also need to have the Broken Pendant, which is dropped by the Crystal Golem in Duke’s Archives, near the elevator. You can warp there from a bonfire or follow the path near Anor Londo.
- Go back to Darkroot Basin and look for a black fog floating on the river.
- Interact with it to teleport to Sanctuary Garden, where you will fight against the Knight Artorias and the other three bosses alongside minibosses and new enemies.
Artorias Boss Strategy – Tips and Tricks
We created a list of recommended weapons and armors below so that you can prepare yourself for the notorious Abysswalker.
- Weapon: Falchion, Uchigatana, Zweihander
- Shield: Grass Crest Shield
- Buff: Green Blossom (sold by Chester right before the elevator to Royal Wood)
Getting a buff from Green Blossom should help you a great deal as it boosts stamina recovery for a few minutes. You can buy one from the NPC outside the boss area. Chester is located right across the bridge and he sells Green Blossom for 1200 souls.
The stamina boost is almost essential as Artorias is a very quick boss and it has very fast attacks. You will do lots of rolling so getting a Green Blossom is highly recommended.
Who is Knight Artorias?
Artorias the Abysswalker was one of the four knights of Lord Gwyn. He was tasked with hunting the Darkwraiths lurking in the Abyss. His mission was to save the land of Oolacile from the darkness with his companion.
Though Artorias has lost his great shield in an attempt to protect his friend, Sif the Great Grey Wolf. The shield which protected Artorias against the peril of the Abyss was now lost. Therefore, the Abysswalker became vulnerable to darkness and corruption. After being overwhelmed by darkness, he is now a mere puppet of Manus, the Father of the Abyss. And as the Chosen Undead, our mission is to best him by going back in time.
There are four bosses in the expansion pack. They are:
- Sanctuary Guardian
- Artorias of the Abyss
- Manus, Father of the Abyss
- Black Dragon Kalameet
You do not have to kill all of them as the expansion pack is completely optional. Though we recommend you complete the DLC as it offers a great journey through Oolacile and the Abyss.