Saber Interactive‘s CO-OP action game offers what we have been missing in the zombie genre. Here’s your World War Z review if you need some zombie-slaying action.
What is World War Z?
World War Z came out back on April 26 2019 for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. It was developed by Saber Interactive who also worked on HALO, Crysis Remastered, SnowRunner, and many other great video games. Based on the 2013 movie and 2006 book of the same name, World War Z allows players to assume the role of various survivors during a zombie outbreak.
The game also offers different settings around the world like New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Jerusalem, and Marseille. With seven different classes and various characters, World War Z comes with a successful TPS action enriched with types of equipment, class perks, and a wide range of weaponry. It also manages to differentiate itself from your average zombie killing game thanks to its horde feature.
World War Z Gameplay
The physics motor of the game is able to support 1000 zombies on-screen that run over and climb onto each other. This allows the gameplay to be much more cinematic and immersive.
Thanks to its CO-OP mode, players usually find themselves firing against hundreds of zombies while also trying to complete a certain mission. Winner features like these make the game a solid choice in the zombie genre.
World War Z Classes
There are seven classes players can choose when starting a different match. Each class has its own advantages and starts with a different set of equipment.
Similar to Battlefield multiplayer, the more you play with a class the more it gets experience points. The time you spend with a class allows you to improve your gear and perks further.
- Hellraiser: Stars with a shotgun along with C4 and a grenade launcher.
- Gunslinger: Starts with a compact SMG and frag grenades.
- Fixer: Starts with a scout rifle in addition to a supply bag to give members ammo. Also has a masking gas grenade.
- Medic: Starts with a compact SMG and a stim pistol in addition to a medkit and serves as a healer for the team.
- Exterminator: Starts with a shotgun and also has a molotov cocktail or a claymore mine to burst out area of damage.
- Slasher: Starts with a compact SMG and a stun gun to slow down special enemies.
- Dronemaster: Starts with a scout rifle and has a quadrocopter as equipment.
You usually find yourself in the center of New York City with three of your friends fighting against hordes of zombies. With great graphics and immersive gunplay, World War Z manages to receive a good score. Though it feels repetitive from time to time, the title is definitely great for those who enjoy the zombie genre and a fun couple of hours.
Next-Gen Update and FPS Mod Is On The Way
The developer is currently focusing on the new and enhanced version of the game. Titled World War Z Aftermath, the update will offer an FPS mode in addition to new pieces of equipment and weapons. Xbox Series X|S and PS5 owners will also get a next-gen update to fight against zombies in higher resolution and better textures.
Our World War Z Review ends here as we recommend the game for players who enjoy brutal zombie-killing with lots of places, characters and weapons.
Pros of World War Z
- Amazing horde feature allows hundres of zombies to run at th player, resulting in an immersive gameplay.
- Lots of different weapons and overall sucessful perk system
- Rich gameplay thanks to various classes, places and sets of equipment
Cons of World War Z
- Feels repetitive after long hours of gaming
- In-level quests are boring